Gear Change Leeds

Tel: 0788 5627 320


Provisional Licence

Before you can undertake your first lesson you will need to obtain your Provisional Driving Licence.  You can drive with a Provisional Driving Licence on the roads and do your theory test from your 17th birthday onwards. 

However you can apply for your licence up to three months before your birthday.



Your licence can be applied for by completing and sending the D1 application form which you can get from your local Post Office.  You can also apply on line on line at  If you apply on line for your licence the requirements are:

 - You are a resident of United Kingdom

 - You meet the minimum age requirement

 - Your eyesight is of the require standard

 - You are not currently prevented from driving for any reason

 - You have a valid UK passport or other formal form of identity

(Addresses must be provided for the last three years where you have been living)

 - You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Delta or Solo debit or credit cards


You will be required to submit a photo of your licence.  The DVLA can use your passport photo if you have one.  This will need to be sent to the DVLA separately.


Details of the costs of the various types of licences can be found on the website